In-State Merit Scholarships for 2018-2019
Please review our FAQ section for details on the scholarships listed below.
First time freshmen who meet the December 15 scholarship deadline, have a qualifying score on the ACT or SAT and have at least a 3.5 cumulative high school GPA through the junior year will be eligible for the following merit-based scholarships:
Crimson Achievement Scholar
A student with a 25 ACT or 1200-1230 SAT score and minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Crimson Achievement Scholar and will receive $8,000 over four years ($2,000 per year).
A student with a 26 ACT or 1240-1270 SAT score and minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a UA Legends Scholar and will receive $10,000 over four years ($2,500 per year).
A student with a 27 ACT or 1280-1300 SAT score and minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Capstone Scholar and will receive $16,000 over four years ($4,000 per year).
A student with a 28-29 ACT or 1310-1380 SAT score and a minimum GPA of 3.5 a student will be named a Collegiate Scholar and will receive $20,000 over four years ($5,000 per year).
Foundation in Excellence Scholar
A student with a 30-31 ACT or 1390-1440 SAT score and at least a 3.5 GPA will be named a Foundation in Excellence Scholar and will receive $32,000 over four years ($8,000 per year).
A student with a 32-36 ACT or 1450-1600 SAT score and at least a 3.5 GPA will be selected as a Presidential Scholar and will receive the value of tuition, or $41,800 over four years ($10,470 per year). Students graduating with remaining tuition scholarship semester(s) may use these monies toward graduate school and/or law school study at UA.
Presidential Elite Scholar
A student with a 4.0 GPA and a 36 ACT or 1600 SAT will be selected as a Presidential Elite Scholar and will receive:
- Value of tuition for up to four years for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate or law studies
- One year of on-campus housing at regular room rate
- $1,000 per year stipend for four years
- $2,000 one-time allowance for use in summer research or international study (after completing one year of study at UA)
- $2,000 book scholarship ($500 per year for four years)
A Note About Test Scores
- The University of Alabama will accept from both the previous SAT and the redesigned SAT (any SAT taken on or after March 5th, 2016). If you have a previous SAT score, please contact us.
- If you have taken the previous SAT and the redesigned SAT, we will use your highest score for your admission and scholarship application reviews. Highest score will be determined by utilizing test score conversion by College Board.
- The optional writing section in the redesigned SAT will not be required for admissions or scholarship purposes.
- The writing section of the ACT will no longer be required for admissions or scholarship purposes.
*For scholarships awarded only by Undergraduate Admissions - If tuition is being paid by an outside source, the scholarship dollars may be used for other educational expenses (room, board, books, etc.).
**Merit scholarships are typically awarded for a regular academic year which includes fall and spring semesters only (ie. 8 semesters over the course of four years). Merit scholarship awards will not exceed a semester's tuition.