National Merit Finalist Package Fall 2021
Students recognized as a National Merit Finalist by the National Merit Scholar Corporation who are admitted, provide a copy of their official National Merit Finalist letter via email to email@example.com, and list The University of Alabama as their college of choice with the National Merit Scholar Corporation before May 1, 2021 will receive:
- Value of tuition for up to five years or 10 semesters for degree-seeking undergraduate, graduate or law school studies
- Four years of undergraduate on-campus housing at regular room rate* (based on assignment by Housing and Residential Communities)
- $3,500 per year undergraduate Merit Scholarship stipend for four years.**
- One-time undergraduate allowance of $2,000 for use in summer research or international study (after completing one year of study at UA)
- $2,000 undergraduate book scholarship ($500 per year for four years)
National Merit Semifinalist Package Fall 2021
- As a National Merit Semifinalist, once you are admitted to UA, we will offer you a Presidential Scholarship. You must be admitted before May 1 of your senior year in high school to receive this award.
* Regular room rate is defined as the largest room option in a particular dorm. Example: Riverside, Lakeside and Ridgecrest have four-person suites. The cost associated with the four person suite would be the value of the housing scholarship in this circumstance. If you live in an alternative dorm where double room occupancy is the largest available option, then the cost associated with the double room would be the value of the housing scholarship.
** The portion of your stipend paid by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation will be applied to your student account within the first six weeks of each semester.
National Merit Steps
Here is a basic summary of the process to follow if you wish to be considered for a National Merit Scholarship to attend UA. Please visit the National Merit Scholarship Corporation website for more details and for the most updated information. Some direct links are included below to help you find specific information about each phase of the process.
Take the PSAT
- The PSAT may be taken as a sophomore or a junior depending on the high school you attend. Consult your high school guidance counselor for details about when the test is administered at your school.
- If you qualify as a National Merit Semifinalist, you will be notified by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation in September of your senior year of high school.
- If you qualify as a National Merit Finalist, you will be notified by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation in February of your senior year of high school. Please submit your official finalist letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Merit Scholars designate The University of Alabama as your first choice with the National Merit Corporation before May 1st.
UA Admissions Steps
In addition to the steps above, you should apply for admission to UA and scholarships and financial aid by following the steps below. Please keep in mind that the following list does not include every step of the enrollment process or the financial aid process. More information is available on the Scholarships and Financial Aid page of the UA Viewbook as well as on the pages linked in the boxes below.
Apply to UA
- The application goes live in July prior to your senior year in high school. Read more about the admissions process.
- Be admitted before January 15 to apply for UA’s competitive scholarships. Learn more about the UA Scholarship Application.
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) beginning in October of your senior year. Please note, submitting your FAFSA by December 1 ensures priority consideration for all types of financial aid.
We will be glad to talk to you in more detail about the scholarship packages and application procedures listed here. Please contact us if you have any questions or if you would like to schedule a campus visit.