The University of Alabama offers some of the most generous scholarship opportunities in the state for qualifying Alabama students. Complete the steps below to maximize your scholarship and aid opportunities.
STEP 1: APPLY FOR ADMISSIONS & SCHOLARSHIPS
As a first-time freshman applicant, you must submit the following to be considered for admission:
- Application for admission
- Official high school transcript
- Optional submission of official ACT or SAT test score*
Automatic Merit Scholarships
If you are a qualifying main campus student, you will receive UA’s automatic merit scholarship through December 15 if enrolling in the spring semester and through May 1 if enrolling in the fall or summer semesters.
If you are enrolling in the fall or summer semester as a main campus student admitted by January 15, you will be considered for competitive scholarships available, including competitive scholarships offered by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions & Scholarships, the National Alumni Association, academic colleges and other departments across campus.
If you are enrolling in the spring semester as a main campus student admitted by November 1, you will be considered for competitive scholarships offered by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions & Scholarships.
*The University of Alabama will not require standardized ACT or SAT scores from students applying through the Fall 2022 Semester. For more information, see UA’s Freshman Requirements page.
STEP 2: MAXIMIZE YOUR SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
To maximize scholarship opportunities, students who wish to enroll in the fall and summer semester should be admitted by January 15 or spring semester should be admitted by November 1.
All fall and summer semester admits who meet the January 15 deadline will be emailed instructions to complete Freshman Supplemental Scholarship Application.
2022 In-State UA Competitive Admissions Scholarship
All students admitted by the listed deadline are evaluated holistically, based upon academic and non-academic information provided on their admission application. Academic components considered include high school GPA and academic honors. Non-academic items include leadership experience, volunteer experience, extracurricular activities, employment and non-academic honors.
This scholarship has a value of $3,000 up to tuition.
- Spring 2022: Students admitted by December 15 with a qualifying GPA and ACT composite score or SAT total score by December 15
- Fall/Summer 2022: Students admitted by May 1 with a qualifying GPA through December of senior year and qualifying ACT composite score or SAT total score by February 2022
- 1st Round: mid-December for students admitted by October 15
- 2nd Round: early February for students admitted by November 30
- 3rd Round: early March for students admitted by January 15
2022 In-State Freshman Automatic Merit Scholarships
|Scholarship||Test Score||GPA||Yearly Value|
|Presidential||30-36 ACT or 1360-1600 SAT||3.50+||Tuition|
|Foundation in Excellence||29 ACT or 1330-1350 SAT||3.50+||$9,000|
|Foundation in Excellence||30-36 ACT or 1360-1600 SAT||3.00-3.49||$9,000|
|Collegiate||28 ACT or 1300-1320 SAT||3.50+||$8,000|
|Collegiate||29 ACT or 1330-1350 SAT||3.00-3.49||$8,000|
|Capstone||27 ACT or 1260-1290 SAT||3.50+||$7,000|
|Capstone||28 ACT or 1300-1320 SAT||3.00-3.49||$7,000|
|UA Legends||26 ACT or 1230-1250 SAT||3.50+||$6,000|
|UA Legends||27 ACT or 1260-1290 SAT||3.00-3.49||$6,000|
|Crimson Achievement||25 ACT or 1200-1220 SAT||3.50+||$5,000|
|Crimson Achievement||26 ACT or 1230-1250 SAT||3.00-3.49||$5,000|
|UA Recognition||21-24 ACT or 1060-1190 SAT||3.50+||$4,000|
|UA Recognition||25 ACT or 1200-1220 SAT||3.00-3.49||$4,000|
- Spring 2022: Students admitted by December 15 with a qualifying GPA and ACT or SAT score by December 15
- Fall/Summer 2022: Students admitted by May 1 with a qualifying GPA through December of senior year and qualifying test score by February 2022
Qualifying admitted students will automatically receive one of these scholarships. Notifications are sent approximately 2 weeks following admission.
*The listed notifications are for Fall and Summer Semester 2022 admits only. Because several factors go into a student’s competitive award, it will not be uncommon for students admitted by an earlier date to receive a later notification. If you do not receive notification for an early round, your scholarship application will roll to the next round for further review. All Spring Semester 2022 notifications will be released in mid-December.
A student with a 4.0+ GPA and 36 ACT OR 1600 SAT will be selected as a Presidential Elite Scholar and will receive:
- Value of tuition for up to four years or eight semesters for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate or law studies
- First year of on-campus housing at regular room rate (based on assignment by Housing and Residential Communities)
- $1,000 per year supplemental scholarship for four years
- $2,000 one-time allowance for use in summer research or international study (after completing one year of study at UA)
- $2,000 Supe Store book scholarship ($500 per year for four years)
If you are awarded a UA Competitive Admissions Scholarship but also meet the criteria for one or more Automatic Merit Scholarships, you will receive the highest of the scholarship offers.
Please visit the Scholarships FAQ page for additional details about UA’s competitive and automatic scholarships.
STEP 3: COMPLETE YOUR FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA, OPTIONAL)
The Financial Aid staff is dedicated to making the federal aid process as straightforward as possible. Financial assistance available through this office includes federal aid – grants, loans, work study and information about student employment. Please visit The University of Alabama Student Financial Aid website for more information, and submit your FAFSA by December 1 to ensure priority consideration for all types of financial aid.